COVID-19 Impacts & Procedures
As we navigate our ever-changing world, our mission to inspire you to live an active lifestyle remains. Now, more than ever, the Sports Backers team wants to keep you moving, but only in a way that keeps our participants, volunteers, staff and communities safe and healthy. Our team has been working hard to revise our event plans to meet the current social distancing requirements so that we can get back to celebrating your active lifestyles through our events in the safest way possible.
With individual’s safety and transmission mitigation in mind, we have been working on new event modifications and procedures that will allow us to safely operate the Sports Backers Marathon, Half Marathon and 5k. These policies and procedures are based on current recommendations for COVID-19 safety protocols and are subject to change at any time.
What Sports Backers staff will be doing:
- All staff and volunteers will be required to wear a mask while on the event premise at all times
- Cleaning and sanitizing high-traffic areas at the start/finish area and on the course at regular intervals including, but not limited to, packet-pick up, porta-johns, start and finish line area
- Reducing communal surfaces that encourage group or repeat usage
- Hand sanitizer available for usage throughout the event including at packet pick-up, bottle filling stations, and near the start and finish areas.
- Any post-race food or finisher items available will be pre-portioned and packaged for each participant
Safety and COVID-19 Event Impacts and Procedures at the Sports Backers Marathon, Half Marathon and 5k:
Bib Assignment/Finisher Area
- All staff and volunteers will be required to wear a mask at all times while handing out bibs or finisher item packets
- Participants will be required to wear a mask during the bib assignment process and when picking up finisher item packets.
- Participants and spectators are asked to maintain social distance at all times, providing 10’ feet of space between one another in the start/finish area, on course and at bottle refill stations.
- Plexiglass barriers will be used at the bib assignment tent (where participants will receive their bib and timing chip) positioned between staff/volunteers and participants
- The bib assignment process will be contactless with the participant providing their driver’s license through the plexiglass for identification and their race bib will be slid to them through the plexiglass opening
- All finisher item packets will be pre-packaged for a contactless experience
- Social distance markings will be on the ground around the bib assignment and finisher item giveaway tents to assist with spacing while in any potential line
- Signage will be utilized to reinforce mask wearing (while not running/walking) and social distancing
- Cleaning and sanitizing high-traffic areas regularly, including the bottle re-fill stations on course
- Hand sanitizer available for use at the start/finish area and at the bottle re-fill stations on course
- When accessing the official course, you must maintain 10 feet of social distance between yourself and others.
- Please avoid any crowding at the start/finish and while on course.
- The Virginia Capital Trail will not be closed for the event so please be aware of other trail users both on foot and on bike. There are several trail crossings on course, which are not closed to vehicular traffic. You must be prepared to stop when crossing these intersections.
- There will not be medical support dedicated to the official course. We strongly encourage you to run with your phone, in addition to needing it for the RaceJoy app, and be prepared to dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency.
- If you are running prior to 6:30 AM, we recommend that you plan to wear a headlamp.
- While running on the course, stay to your right and pass on the left.
- When passing someone, please remember to give an audible warning and be sure to maintain social distance.
- All spectators must wear masks on course.
- All staff and volunteers will be required to wear a mask while on the event premise.
- Cleaning and sanitizing high-traffic areas at the start/finish area and on the course at regular intervals.
- Hand sanitizer available for usage throughout the event including at the start and finish area and at bottle refill stations.
Per CDC guidelines the following groups are considered to be at a higher risk for contracting COVID-19. If any of these apply to you, we ask that you take the increased risk into consideration before racing:
- CDC high risk age threshold (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html)
- Those who are immunocompromised or undergoing treatment for an ongoing disease such as cancer, HIV, liver, or heart disease (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html)
- Those with moderate to severe asthma
Our policies and procedures will continue to be updated as we learn more about COVID-19 and how to keep our participants, volunteers, staff, and communities safe and healthy. These procedures are subject to change at any time and we appreciate your flexibility as we enter a new phase of social distancing races.