Inspiring people from all corners of our community to live actively.
Let’s Go, RVA
Core Operating Values
Engage Underserved Populations
Provide active living opportunities for all residents, with emphasis on underserved communities
Build Innovative Culture
Dedicate 10% staff time to innovation processes for continual improvement of active living initiatives
Diversify Funding Sources
Raise funds through diverse sources to support the active living movement
To view our 2017-2022 Strategic Plan At-A-Glance, click here.
To view our most recent Annual Report, click here.
- Safety: The safety of our participants, spectators, volunteers and staff is our top priority.
- Excellence: We commit to creating and organizing events and programs that achieve a nationally recognized level of excellence.
- Atmosphere: We create a fun environment for our programs and events as well as our workplace.
- Inclusivity: We encourage and support the participation of all people in our region.
- Integrity: We honor our commitments to our participants, spectators, sponsors and community partners.
- Team Oriented: We partner with other local organizations in producing sporting events by sharing our resources and expertise.
- Stewardship: We consistently seek to maintain financial stability for the organization.
During the past 25 years, Sports Backers, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, has developed programs and events that are designed to inspire people from all corners of our community to live actively. We achieve this work by focusing on a network of collaborative partnerships with other organizations, businesses, local governments and faith based institutions. In order to have transformational change, we realize we can’t do it all alone, but rather we work to build a movement of change in our community to make active living the easy choice.
Bike Walk RVA
We support bike and pedestrian friendly infrastructure projects. Empower residents with the tools they need to advocate for safe and comfortable places to bike and walk throughout Richmond. Learn more about Bike Walk RVA.
Keep It Moving
We offer fitness programs and resources to create access, maximize opportunities, and break down barriers so that individuals, no matter where they live, can benefit from an active lifestyle. Learn more about Keep It Moving.
Kids Run RVA
We give kids across our region the chance to have fun while being physically active on a regular basis. We support school-based run clubs. Learn more about Kids Run RVA.
A regional collaborative movement that works with businesses, local governments, schools, organizations, and with YOU to get every corner of our community moving. Learn more about Active RVA.
Sports Backers celebrates the leadership and drive of scholar-athletes with a formal dinner and awards scholarships to 20 outstanding student athletes, 4 outstanding teams and a comeback athlete of the year. Learn more about Scholar-Athlete Awards.
Events and Training Teams
We celebrate Richmond’s active culture by hosting events that showcase our region’s greatest attributes. Sports Backers’ training teams, led by experienced volunteer coaches, will have you ready to take part in one of our many events.
Sports Backers now owns and produces 13 events each year that include some of the largest and most successful of their kind in the country. They include:
• Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k and Virginia529 Kids Run
• Dominion Riverrock
• Cougar 7v7 Field Hockey Tournament
• Anthem Corporate Run
• RVA to DC Ride
• Richmond International Dragon Boat Festival
• Anthem Moonlight Ride
• Patrick Henry Half Marathon
• Trails & Ales
• Whole Foods Marathon Jr.
• Anthem Richmond Marathon, Markel Richmond Half Marathon, and VCU Health 8k
• CarMax Tacky Light Run
Last year the Sports Backers supported 25 other sports tourism events owned and operated by non-profit organizations in the Richmond regionAudited financial statements and IRS Form 990 are available by request. Please email [email protected].