To give you a little background
We live what we do. The Sports Backers staff is a passionate bunch, and we want our new team members to be passionate also. If you’re into the active lifestyle and want to help us spread the love of physical activity to the rest of Richmond, you’ve come to the right place. But just to warn you, we can’t take everyone… So dazzle us!
Sports Backers, a nationally acclaimed non-profit sports commission, seeks a full time Corporate Sales Manager to spearhead its corporate business development efforts. This role is based in Richmond, Virginia and is responsible for corporate sales related to Sports Backers events. This position will report to the Director of Sponsorship and Development.
Primary responsibilities will include prospecting, securing, and nurturing relationships with businesses to have them pay for their employees take part in Sports Backers events that include but not limited to the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k, Anthem Corporate Run, International Dragon Boat Festival and the Walmart BizBowl.
• Make calls to corporations whose employees are potential event participants
• Schedule and attend sales appointments with potential customers
• Provide outstanding customer service
• Communicate relevant event details to ensure a positive event experience
• Maintain a prospect database
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Proficient in Salesforce
• A minimum of three years in corporate sales with a history of growth
• Passionate commitment to fitness and living an active lifestyle
• Ability to function within a team and as an individual
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Highly Organized
• Comfortable in social settings and have the desire to network at events that may occur outside of normal business hours
This is a full time position, with a salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and a flexible work environment are offered. Must have reliable transportation.
Sports Backers is a 501(c)3 charitable non-profit organization with a vision to transform greater Richmond into the most physically active community in the nation by leading the area in embracing and celebrating an active lifestyle.
Communities that are designed to incorporate active modes of transportation such as biking, walking, and transit are significantly more physically active than those that lack sidewalks, bike lanes, paved trails, and safe neighborhood streets. Sports Backers is addressing the lack of these facilities in greater Richmond through Bike Walk RVA – a regional program created to advocate for bike and pedestrian friendly policies, programs and infrastructure projects.
The Lead Organizer will spend the majority of their time expanding our network of grassroots advocates, empowering them to be leaders in the movement toward a walkable, bikeable Richmond region. The Lead Organizer will identify, recruit, and develop members of the community into effective advocates for biking and walking, and then work on a daily basis with these “Champions” to build support for bicycle and pedestrian friendly policies, plans, and projects.
II. Specific Responsibilities
- Manage communication – via targeted emails, blog posts, action alerts, and social media management – to our database of over 40,000 biking and walking advocates across the Richmond region.
- Identify and recruit people from the community to work with Bike Walk RVA on advocacy campaigns.
- Administer the Bike Walk RVA Academy, our annual multi-week advocacy training course.
- Oversee and provide support to the independent teams of advocates (“Bike Walk RVA Champions”) in localities across the region.
- Mobilize Bike Walk RVA Champions, community residents, local business owners, and more to turn out to and speak up at public events (open houses, public meetings, hearings, ect.).
- Identify local plans and projects that require support, and work with country staff, residents, and elected officials to secure funding, ensure proper design, and timely implementation.
- Assist Sports Backers event staff with major events as needed.
III. Minimum Qualifications
- Ability to identify, recruit, train, and organize residents of the community, including underserved populations.
- Strong oral communication skills in a variety of settings.
- Strong written and social media communication skills.
- Ability to translate policies, plans and design into language understandable by the general public.
IV. Preferred Qualifications
- Experience and proven leadership in developing and executing advocacy campaigns.
- Understanding of transportation policy and planning.
- Familiarity with localities of Richmond, Chesterfield, Henrico, and Hanover.
V. Employment Specifics
- Full-time salaried position with evening and weekend work sometimes required.
- Ability to travel around the Richmond region is required.
- Reports to and is supervised by the Director of Bike Walk RVA.
- Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience; benefits package.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references, all in a single PDF document. Position is open until filled.
The Sports Backers have three internship positions available per term and two for the school year. Terms follow the Fall, Spring and Summer seasons. Schedules are as follows and can be flexible based on an individual’s academic calendar. Oh, did we mention they were PAID?!
May – Mid-August
|January 1 – February 15|
Mid-August – Mid-May
|May 15 – June 30|
Each internship position listed below requires an outgoing, self-motivated individual who possesses effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Each position will require weekend and evening work surrounding our event schedule. To apply, click on the link to any position and fill out the form.
• Assist the Public Relations & Marketing department with day-to-day promotion of Sports Backers events.
• Assist with the management of the Sports Backers’ social media outlets. This includes increasing frequency of interaction, brainstorming contest ideas, and keeping the content fresh.
• Assist with graphic design and creative concepts, as well as video editing and production
• Research relevant stories and articles to feature in our e-newsletter, PULSE.
• Write articles and press releases related to Sports Backers events and people participating in them.
• Assist in monitoring the performance of digital advertisements.
Applicants are asked to submit a relevant article, feature story, blog post, or social media campaign as a writing sample along with a cover letter and resume.
• Assist full-time staff with day-to-day operations and event planning.
• Answer incoming calls and assist in answering inquiries about the Sports Backers and our events.
• Assist with distribution of promotional materials in the community.
• Assist with mail-in registration input for all events.
• Manage projects for events and serve on event committees.
• Assist with the set-up and breakdown of events both on-site and in the warehouse.
• Assist other departments with projects as needed.