To give you a little background
We live what we do. The Sports Backers staff is a passionate bunch, and we want our new team members to be passionate also. If you’re into the active lifestyle and want to help us spread the love of physical activity to the rest of Richmond, you’ve come to the right place. But just to warn you, we can’t take everyone… So dazzle us!
Sports Backers is seeking a Graphic Designer to help meet the design needs across all events and programs. This person will be a skilled technical designer, forward thinker, project manager, work well with a team, and is down for a midweek workout with the rest of the crew. Responsible for ensuring that all creative content requests are properly completed in a timely and accurate manner and live up to existing brand standards. This position will report to the Director of Marketing.
This is an office-based position located in Richmond, Virginia with the flexibility to work remotely for some of the work week. It’s all-hands on deck for events, which means some weekend work will be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop on-brand design solutions for print and digital communications across all events and programs.
- Manage print collateral design and production from concept to execution.
- Responsible for designing visuals for email campaigns, all major social media platforms, web assets, online ads, printed materials, t-shirt designs, and more as needed.
- Proactively collaborate with other members of the Marketing Team to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Participate in creative meetings to develop strategies and generate campaign concepts.
- Maintain brand standards across all channels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Requirements:
- 1-2 years of relevant graphic design experience
- Portfolio of creative work highlighting creative and conceptual ideas
- Highly developed organizational skills with a keen attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Must be a self-starter, highly independent, and capable of managing multiple projects at one time
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign required. Experienced in Adobe Premiere and/or Adobe Rush preferred.
- Photography skills a plus
- Must be able and willing to assist with event production tasks requiring light to moderate manual labor
- Candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or willing to get fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to starting the position
Sports Backers is a nationally acclaimed nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring active living throughout the Richmond region. We pride ourselves on providing opportunities for physical activity and supporting the active community through a variety of events and programs. We host several renowned active living events such as the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k, Dominion Energy Riverrock, and VCU Health Richmond Marathon as well as innovative and impactful programs like Bike Walk RVA, Fitness Warriors, and Kids Run RVA designed to get the entire community moving!
Over the past year, the Sports Backers team has worked hard to stay relevant during a time when in-person events and programming couldn’t exist. Endless idea generation, quick turnarounds, effective communications, and an embrace of experimentation were the keys to our successful marketing approach. We remain dedicated to our mission of inspiring active living and look forward to growing our impact.
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- 401k with Company Match
- Health Insurance
- Cell Phone
- Employee Discounts on Events and Merchandise
To apply, please submit your resumé, cover letter, and portfolio.
Sports Backers is a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization with a mission to inspire people from all corners of our community to live actively. We are a contracted provider of youth fitness programs with NextUp RVA, a fellow non-profit that provides Richmond Public School students with access to coordinated, high-quality learning experiences beyond the classroom.
This summer, Sports Backers will lead youth fitness programs over a five-week period in eight Richmond Public Schools. Two of the schools will serve middle school students while the other six will provide programming geared towards pre-school age students. Sports Backers is seeking several energetic, outgoing fitness instructors that can engage youth from underserved communities in age appropriate physical activity opportunities.
The Youth Fitness Instructors will be responsible for:
- Reporting to assigned site(s) on time, on all assigned program days.
- Creating and leading engaging, age appropriate fitness activities for approximately 15 students for 45 minutes per class, with the expectation of leading two classes per day.
- Coordinating with Sports Backers and Next Up staff to make sure all program needs are met.
- Implementing an incentive system for youth participation to encourage positive behavior, participation, and retention.
- Maintaining provided equipment and ensuring any shared equipment is sanitized after use.
- Ensuring Richmond Public Schools COVID policies are abided by at all times.
- Reporting hours to Michelle Mertens twice per month for payroll purposes
- Reporting any incidents to Next Up and Sports Backers staff in a timely manner
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Energetic, outgoing personality with the ability to quickly adjust to a variety of environments
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to easily interact with youth and school leaders.
- Excellent planning skills, with attention to detail, use of creativity, and ability to effectively execute plans
- Ability to lead fitness programs that are appropriate for all fitness levels, offering modifications as needed
- Easily build rapport with youth participants and implement appropriate behavior management techniques when needed
This position will require approximately 2 hours of work per day, every Monday through Thursday, in the early afternoon hours from July 12th – August 13th. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in group fitness instruction, those that have experience working with youth, and those who hold current CPR/First Aid Certification. Candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or willing to get fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to starting the position. This is an hourly position and reports to the Director of Community Outreach.
The Sports Backers have three internship positions available per term, working with Event Operations, Marketing and Communications, and Community Active Living Programs. Internships terms run from September 7, 2021 to May 22, 2022 and can be flexible based on an individual’s academic requirements and availability. Sports Backers has embraced a flexible work environment including both in-person and virtual work, however, some in-person office time and events will be required.
Currently, internship positions are unpaid but can be eligible for course credit. In accordance with Sports Backers’ organizational COVID-19 guidelines, candidates must have received a COVID-19 vaccine to be considered for a position.
Each internship position listed below requires an outgoing, self-motivated individual who possesses effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Each position will require weekend and evening work surrounding our event schedule. To apply, click on the link to any position and fill out the form. Applications will be accepted through July 15.
• Assist the Public Relations & Marketing department with day-to-day promotion of Sports Backers events and active living programs.
• Assist with the management of the Sports Backers’ social media outlets. This includes increasing frequency of interaction, brainstorming contest ideas, and keeping the content fresh.
• Assist with graphic design, branding, and creative concepts, as well as video and podcast production.
• Research relevant stories and articles to feature in our blog and email newsletters.
• Write articles and press releases related to Sports Backers events and people participating in them.
• Assist in monitoring the performance of digital advertisements.
Applicants are asked to submit a relevant article, feature story, blog post, or social media campaign as a writing sample along with a cover letter and resume.
• Assist full-time staff with day-to-day operations and event planning.
• Answer incoming calls and assist in answering inquiries about the Sports Backers and our events.
• Assist with distribution of promotional materials in the community.
• Assist with mail-in registration input for all events.
• Manage projects for events and serve on event committees.
• Assist with the set-up and breakdown of events both on-site and in the warehouse.
• Assist other departments with projects as needed.
Sports Backers is looking for an energetic and outgoing intern to help coordinate programs that create opportunities for physical activity in underserved communities in the Greater Richmond and Tri Cities area.
- Coordinate with full time staff, school employees, and partner organizations to implement community and school based fitness programs
- Assist with income based event entries, maintain up-to-date database of program related information
- Engage with the public about Sports Backers programs at community events
- Provide direct service in community and school based programs as needed
- Assist at Sports Backers events
- Work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Assist with program marketing by writing blogs and creating social media content
- Duties involve heavy lifting at times
- Other duties as assigned and able
Qualifications and Experience
- Developed interpersonal skills and outgoing personality is required
- A passion for an active lifestyle is preferred
- Program management, community organizing, and public engagement experience is a plus
- Must be fully vaccinated prior to starting internship