Applications for Fall 2019 Regional Bike Walk RVA Academy Now Open
The greater Richmond region has been making some big strides over the last few years to become more walking and bicycling friendly. By focusing attention on plans, policies, and funding for active living projects, bikeways in the Richmond region have grown from 37 miles in 2013 to 89 miles in 2019 – a 52 mile increase in bicycling infrastructure! Now, the region will make its biggest stride yet – connecting seven cities and counties along a biking/walking trail from Ashland to Petersburg. That’s a major regional multi-use trail spine of about 41 miles.
In order to keep the positive momentum going for the development of the Ashland to Petersburg (ATP) Trail, we need you to join our team of Champions to advocate for funding, plans, and policies for the growth of this regional trail. Bringing the ATP Trail to fruition is a long-term goal that will take a similar amount of time to complete as the Virginia Capital Trail. If you are interested in seeing this game-changing project through, this regional Bike Walk RVA Academy is for you!
Over the course of six sessions (every Wednesday night from August 28 – October 2), you will develop the skills and tools necessary to help propel a multi-jurisdictional trail forward that provides safe, comfortable connections for people of all ages and abilities who bike, walk, or otherwise roll (strollers, wheelchairs, etc.).
Here is application and instruction schedule:
- July 30: Applications open (Use form below to apply. Acceptance is competitive.)
- August 13: Applications due by midnight
- August 14: Applicants notified by close of business
- August 28: First session (6 to 8 PM)
- September 4: Second session (6 to 8 PM)
- September 11: Third session (6 to 8 PM)
- September 18: Fourth session (6 to 8 PM)
- September 25: Fifth session (6 to 8 PM)
- October 2: Sixth and final session + graduation (6 to 9 PM)