The Richmond region’s status as a destination for sports enthusiasts has never been stronger than it is today. The Sports Backers aggressively pursue opportunities to expand the number and scope of sporting events held in the region each year. This long-term growth model is the major reason the Sports Backers were the first sports commission in the country awarded the Sports Commission of the Year title four times by the National Association of Sports Commissions.
The Sports Backers now own and produce 14 events each year that include some of the largest and most successful of their kind in the country. They include:
- Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k presented by Kroger
- Uncorked Half Marathon & 5k
- Dominion Energy Riverrock
- Cougar 7v7 Field Hockey Tournament
- Run Bike Relay presented by Ragnar
- Anthem Corporate Run
- Virginia Credit Union Moonlight Ride
- Patrick Henry Half Marathon
- Trails & Ales
- Richmond International Dragon Boat Festival
- Walmart Biz Bowl
- Whole Foods Market Marathon Jr.
- Anthem Richmond Marathon
- CarMax Tacky Light Run
The Sports Backers work to support other sports tourism events owned and operated by non-profit organizations in the Richmond region. We form strategic partnerships with selected events that show significant progress for becoming major events. In 2017, we provided marketing grants to other organizations that supported over 20 events. If your organization puts on an event that you believe qualifies, submit a grant request.
2018 Sports Backers Supported Events Calendar
Monument City Classic Volleyball Tournament
K’Crushka Disc Golf Tournament
James River Sprints Regatta
VCU Health Cap2Cap
Boys East Cost Volleyball Tournament
The Fast Pitch Nationals Softball Tournament
Virginia Cup Soccer Tournament
Heart of Virginia Century
The Halloween Cup Softball Tournament
Sportable Spooktacular Wheelchair Basketball Tournament
* The Sports Backers in conjunction with the Richmond Road Runners Club supports approximately 50 kids running clubs and events per year through the Kids Run RVA Grant Program.