Since its start in 1992, this program has given over $1,033,000 in scholarships to 514 outstanding high school student-athlete seniors in recognition of their hard work both on the field and in the classroom. The region’s top scholar-athletes are announced each month between September and May in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, and twenty finalists are selected to attend the Awards Dinner at the end of the school year. The dinner features a guest speaker(s), followed by the recognition of all finalists, HCA Virginia Sports Medicine Comeback Athletes of the Year, Williams Mullen Teams of the Year, and Scholar Athlete Winners and Runners Up.
For a list of past Times-Dispatch/Sports Backers Scholar-Athlete winners, click here.
Know a standout student-athlete?
Monthly nominations must be made by the school’s activities director or the athlete’s coach, and should be based upon the following criteria:
- Must be in grade 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- 3.0 GPA from the previous semester.
- Current good academic standing.
- Good character.
A student may be nominated for Scholar-Athlete of the Month by submitting the online nomination form here.
Monthly winners are selected for September through April of each academic school year. Nominations are accepted during the first week of each month to nominate a student for the previous month. (For example, to nominate a student-athlete for accomplishments during the month of January, the nomination window is open between during the first week of February). One boy and one girl are selected from all of the nominations each month to be recognized as the Scholar-Athlete of the Month. The winners are typically featured in the Sports section of the Richmond Times-Dispatch on the third Friday of the month.
2018-19 monthly winners
Read more about the 2018-19 Scholar-Athlete of the Month winners. All 20 finalists will be recognized in the Richmond Times-Dispatch on Wednesday, May 22.
- Ellie Mead, Cosby (September)
- Jordan Bracey, Dinwiddie (September)
- Stone Snyder, Monacan (October)
- Hannah Ballowe, St. Catherine’s (October)
- Alexander Levengood, St. Christopher’s (November)
- Sally Snead, Trinity Episcopal (November)
- Joey Badalamenti, Hanover (December)
- Mary Caroline Heinen, Maggie Walker (December)
- Corvell Poag, Armstrong (January)
- Natalie Nettemeyer, Deep Run (January)
- Ali Ibrahim, Glen Allen (February)
- Willa Shannon, St. Catherine’s (February)
- Elby Omohundro, St. Christopher’s (March)
- Molly Grube, Manchester (March)