Active Living Leadership Stars Program
The Sports Backers/Richmond Times-Dispatch Active Living Leadership (ALL) Stars program will provide education, hands-on experiences, and mentorship to a cohort of approximately 20 Scholar-Athletes from the Richmond region, providing these students an opportunity to earn a minimum of a $2,500 upon completion of the program.
Throughout the program, ALL Stars will work together in small groups (crews) with the support of a mentor. There will be assigned reading materials, videos, and podcasts that each ALL Star will complete and then discuss within their crews. ALL Stars will work together, with the support of their mentor, to complete a capstone project that addresses an identified need in the active living community. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, click here to learn more and apply!
What to Expect
Earn a Scholarship
- All accepted scholar-athletes will earn a $2,500 scholarship for completing the program requirements.
- Additional awards and scholarships can be earned along the way!
Learn Valuable Skills
- Explore what contributes to an active community, existing inequities, and how you can make a difference in your community.
- Learn how to transfer your existing skills to a successful future.
Give Back to Our Community
- Volunteer with with local organizations.
- Work towards a capstone project that will benefit our community.
Mentorship and Network of Community Leaders
- Get exposure to local leaders and college athletes.
- Develop strong relationships with your program mentor and cohort.
How to Apply
In order to be eligible for the ALL Stars program, students must meet the following criteria:
- This program is designed for rising, college-bound senior scholar-athletes in the Richmond MSA.
- You must be nominated by a school personnel to be invited to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Demonstrated academic achievement, athletic accolades, and community involvement.
- Additional consideration will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need.
Nomination & Application Process
Students must first be nominated by school personnel (i.e. Coach, Athletic Director, Teacher, etc.). From those nominations, we will invite select students to apply. We have already selected the 2023-2024 cohort of ALL Stars and plan to accept nominations later in the fall for the 2024-2025 cohort.
Have questions? Contact our Director of Youth Programs, Jacki Quinlan, at [email protected] for support.