What are Waves?
It’s pretty simple actually. Instead of one big start with all 25,000 people taking off at once, we divide everyone into almost 40 waves. Each wave is organized by people’s expected pace so that everyone can run with people their own speed. Waves start with the fastest runners, then go to slower runners, then joggers, then walkers. You will select your wave when you register.
Event personnel will be positioned at the starting line to enforce that participants are starting in their correct wave.
Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time:
- 2017 or 2018 Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time
- Results from any other race since January 1, 2018:
- Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping
- We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an 10k Time Conversion Chart.
For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club, click here.
Non-Qualified Running Waves
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to jog, and finish between 70 and 90 minutes (11:16 – 14:29 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to jog more than walk, and finish between 1:30:00 and 1:40:00 (14:29 – 16:06 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to walk more than jog, and finish between 1:40:00 and 1:50:00 (16:06 – 17:42 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to walk, and finish over 1:50:00 (17:42 per mile).
Email [email protected].
Running with Others
- If you want to be in the same start wave with others, you may do so as long as that wave has not reached its capacity.
- If you want to run with a friend in a seeded (Sub 63-minute) wave, you both must supply proof of a qualifying time.
- If you register with a group and want to be placed together, you all must select the slowest person’s wave.
- If you want to run with a faster runner, make sure they are willing to start with you in a slower wave before you register.
Race Day Wave Starts
Race Day Procedure
- Pin your bib to the front of your shirt, where it’s most visible. You must wear your bib to be admitted into the start corral.
- Report to the Start on Broad St. (for a map of the area, click here) – waves will extend from the Start Line (at Harrison) all the way back towards Belvidere St.
- Find the volunteer holding the sign with the letter corresponding to prefix on your bib. If your bib number is B1244, then look for the “Wave B” sign.
- The volunteer will walk your group into the start corral as your start time approaches.
- If you wish to start with someone who has a different predicted time, you may do so by dropping back to the slower person’s wave. No one may move up to a faster wave.
- Chip timing records your exact start and finish time, so your results will accurately reflect the time it took you to run the race no matter which corral you start in.
- Each wave will start promptly at its designated time. You are responsible for being on-time for the start of your wave.
- Starting mats will be turned off immediately after the start of the final wave in order to reopen Broad Street, so latecomers are in danger of not receiving an accurate start time.
2019 Wave Schedule
|Wave A: Seeded Runners – Sub 40:00|
|Wave AA: Seeded Runners – 40:00 to 41:59|
|Wave AB: Seeded Runners – 42:00 to 43:59|
|Wave AW: Racing Wheelchairs|
|Wave B: Seeded Runners – 44:00 to 45:59|
|Wave BA: Seeded Runners – 46:00 to 46:59|
|Wave BB: Seeded Runners – 47:00 to 47:59|
|Wave C: Seeded Runners – 48:00 to 48:59|
|Wave CA: Seeded Runners – 49:00 to 49:59|
|Wave D: Seeded Runners – 50:00 to 50:59|
|Wave E: Seeded Runners – 51:00 to 51:59|
|Wave F: Seeded Runners – 52:00 to 52:59|
|Wave G: Seeded Runners – 53:00 to 53:59|
|Wave H: Seeded Runners – 54:00 to 54:59|
|Wave J: Seeded Runners – 55:00 to 55:59|
|Wave K: Seeded Runners – 56:00 to 56:59|
|Wave L: Seeded Runners – 57:00 to 57:59|
|Wave M: Seeded Runners – 58:00 to 58:59|
|Wave N: Seeded Runners – 59:00 to 59:59|
|Wave P: Seeded Runners – 60:00 to 60:59|
|Wave Q: Seeded Runners – 61:00 to 61:59|
|Wave R: Seeded Runners – 62:00 to 62:59|
|Wave SA: Runners – 63:00 to 65:59|
|Wave SB: Runners – 63:00 to 65:59|
|Wave SC: Runners – 63:00 to 65:59|
|Wave SD: Runners – 63:00 to 65:59|
|Wave SE: Runners – 63:00 to 65:59|
|Wave TA: Runners – 66:00 to 69:59|
|Wave TB: Runners – 66:00 to 69:59|
|Wave UA: Joggers – 70:00 to 74:59|
|Wave UB: Joggers – 70:00 to 74:59|
|Wave VA: Joggers – 75 to 90 min.|
|Wave VB: Joggers – 75 to 90 min.|
|Wave WA: Jog/Walkers – 90 to 100 min.|
|Wave WB: Jog/Walkers – 90 to 100 min.|
|Wave WC: Jog/Walkers – 90 to 100 min.|
|Wave XA: Walk/Joggers – 100 to 110 min.|
|Wave XB: Walk/Joggers – 100 to 110 min.|
|Wave YA: Walkers – 110 min. or more|