COVID-19 Impacts & Procedures
As we navigate our ever-changing world, our mission to inspire you to live an active lifestyle remains. Now, more than ever, the Sports Backers team wants to keep you moving, but only in a way that keeps our participants, coaches, volunteers, staff, and communities safe and healthy. Our team has been working hard to revise our training plans to meet the current social distancing requirements so that we can get back to celebrating your active lifestyles through the 10k Training Team in the safest way possible.
With individual’s safety and transmission mitigation in mind, we have new training modifications and procedures that will allow us to safely operate 10kTT. These policies and procedures are based on current recommendations for COVID-19 safety protocols and are subject to change at any time.
What YMCA 10k Training Team Coaches/Sports Backers Staff/YMCA Staff will be doing:
- All coaches, staff, and volunteers will be required to wear a mask pre and post runs, including while at the training location, parking lot, bathroom, team meeting areas, and any other surrounding areas.
- Cleaning and sanitizing high-traffic areas at regular intervals including, but not limited to, door handles, hydration areas, bathrooms, and team meeting areas.
- Reducing communal surfaces that encourage group or repeat usage.
- Hand sanitizer available for usage
10kTT Covid-19 Safety & Procedures:
- Participants will be required to wear a mask at all times pre and post runs, including while at the stadium, parking lot, bathroom, team meeting areas, during warm ups, and any other surrounding areas.
- Participants are encouraged but not required to wear a mask while running/walking.
- Team announcements will be kept to a minimum prior to training session. Most announcements and updates will be made via email.
- All participants should remain in their cars away from team meeting areas until 5-7 minutes before your assigned start time.
- When arriving for your assigned start time, you must keep 6ft of social/physical distance between you and another person.
- We will start a limited number of participants on the route at one time.
- While passing someone, please allow 6ft between you and the other person. If 6ft is not available to you, please wait until you can pass safely and give them sufficient verbal warning (i.e. “on your left” or “runner back”)
- When at an intersection do not congregate. Try to keep 6ft of distance and consider putting on a mask.
- Once back at the starting location, masks must be utilized and you must return to your car after checking out with your team.
10kTT Event Changes:
- Each participant will be assigned a specific start time and start times will be staggered to ensure that there are no mass groups entering the route.
- Participants will not be allowed to switch training locations and start times.
- Anywhere that lines could form, we will have distance markers to denote where participants should stand.
It is recommended that those who are high-risk persons not participate in In-Person Training. This includes but is not limited to:
- CDC high risk age threshold (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html)
- Those who are immunocompromised or undergoing treatment for an ongoing disease such as cancer, HIV, liver, or heart disease (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html)
- Those with moderate to severe asthma
Our policies and procedures will continue to be updated as we learn more about COVID-19 and how to keep our participants, volunteers, staff, and communities safe and healthy. These procedures are subject to change at any time and we appreciate your flexibility as we enter a new phase of social distancing training.
COVID-19 Exposure Protocol and Policies
In an effort to keep our participants, volunteers, and staff safe, we have established the following guidelines. These are applicable to all Sports Backers programs, training teams, and event participation (“Sports Backers sponsored activity”). The following guidelines meet, and sometimes exceed, the minimum recommendations as outlined by the Virginia Department of Health.
- All staff and volunteers will be required to wear a mask while working or leading a Sports Backers sponsored activity.
- All participants will be required to wear a mask when attending and within the venue of a Sports Backers sponsored activity unless the participant is exercising.
All participants must sign a waiver agreeing to the following:
- I agree that I will neither attend nor participate in any class, training team or event if I, within 14 days prior to the Sports Backers sponsored activity: (i) have a suspected/confirmed case of COVID-19; (ii) shown any symptoms of COVID-19, including, without limitation, fever, cough, or shortness of breath; or (iii) have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19 (or any known symptoms thereof).
- I agree to abide by the Center for Disease Control (CDC)’s recommendations for the prevention of the spread of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and other communicable diseases, and I attest to having read the CDC’s guidance at: gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html.
- I agree to abide by any stay-at-home orders or other guidelines set forth by my local government officials and that is our responsibility to comply with all laws and other requirements imposed by federal, state, and local authorities.
Participant/Volunteer Exposure Disclosure Policy
Sports Backers will require and communicate the following policy as a part of all programs, training teams and events:
- If a participant is diagnosed with COVID-19 within 7 days of participating in a Sports Backers sponsored activity, that participant will be required to report the diagnosis to Megan Schultz, Sports Backers Chief Operating Officer ([email protected]).
- Sports Backers staff will work closely with the participant with a positive case to identify any close contacts (less than 6 feet for greater than a cumulative total of 15 minutes over a 24-hour period) that the participant had while at the Sports Backers sponsored activity. Sports Backers will then follow the notification procedure outlined below and will encourage the participant to also pass along known close contacts to the Virginia Department of Health.
Sports Backers Notification Procedure
If a participant, volunteer, or staff is diagnosed with COVID-19 within 7 days of participating in a Sports Backers event, class, or training team and suspects that they came into close contact (less than 6 feet) with any other participants, volunteers or staff for more than a cumulative total of 15 minutes over a 24-hour period, the appropriate participants, volunteers, and staff must be notified within 3 days. The notification will be in writing and include the following information: date of the possible exposure, plan for the continuation of the event/team/class, contact information of a Sports Backers staff member, and the following statement: If you are experiencing any of the COVID-19 symptoms listed below, please contact your health care provider.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Safe Return Policy
A participant may safely return to a Sports Backers sponsored activity when the participant:
- has 72 hours (3 full days) with no fever and
- Respiratory symptoms have improved (e.g. cough, shortness of breath) and
- 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
- One negative COVID-19 test