Pricing and Registration Details
Marathon Training Team registration includes:
- 23-week training program starting virtually on Saturday, June 6 or Sunday, June 7 (you choose the day), with a detailed schedule for you to follow
- Organized and supported weekly group runs on your choice of Saturday or Sunday mornings (in person runs to tentatively start July 11 & 12)
- Personal guidance from our veteran team of experienced coaches
- A special Sports Backers Marathon Training Team shirt and a technical race shirt
- FREE entry in the 43rd VCU Health Richmond Marathon on November 14 and all associated race benefits
- Special Race Day support along the course from coaches
- Clinics on subjects like nutrition, running attire, and other related topics
- How To Videos
- Fitness & Post Run Recovery Videos
- SAG “care package” mailed to you
Updates as a result of COVID-19
- No large group meetings; participants will be divided into smaller sub teams
- Staggered group run start times and multiple start locations, beginning with in-person training July 11/12
- Limited SAG support – we encourage participants to always bring their own hydration and nutrition
- Further alternatives, modifications, and new approaches possible based on future guidelines to guarantee health and safety of runners
- Virtual check ins from your coaches
- Extended registration to September 1 and eliminated the price increase, keeping the price at $165 for the remainder of the registration period.
- Waived deferral fee and extended the deferral deadline. You may defer your 2020 Sports Backers Marathon Training Team entry to the 2021 Marathon Training Team through September 1 at no cost.
- If you choose to wait to register for MTT you should be able to comfortably meet the following fitness levels (at no more than an average pace of 16 minutes per mile):
- – 10 miles by July 4
- – 12 miles by August 15
- – 14 miles by September 12
Marathon Training Team Fees
$165 through mid-September
Because of the pandemic, we have eliminated the price increase and extended registration until September
Income Based Rate
At Sports Backers, our mission is to inspire people from all corners of our community to live actively. Engaging underserved populations is one of our core values and one way we act on this value is by offering Income Based Rates for all of our training teams. These special rates are offered to those who qualify and would otherwise not be able to participate.
Those who make $25,000 or less annually or receive proven TANF, Food Stamp or Energy Assistance Benefits from Social Services and are not currently claimed as a dependent by anyone making above $25,000 annually are eligible for a special $30 rate for the Marathon Training Team. Please provide one of the following documents for verification:
- Verification/Eligibility letter from Social Services
- Most Recent Tax Return
For those that qualify for the income-based entry fee, please come by our office or mail the completed paper entry form and your verification document to Sports Backers, 100 Avenue of Champions, Richmond, VA 23230
For more information, please email [email protected].
- Training Team entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable, no exceptions. Once we receive your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate or are unable to complete the program.
- You may defer your 2020 Sports Backers Marathon Training Team entry to the 2021 Marathon Training Team through September 1. After that date, there will be no more deferrals. Please note that your free entry in the 2020 VCU Health Richmond Marathon, by itself, may not be deferred to the 2021 event.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- Already signed up for the marathon and want to participate in the training team? No problem! Just click here on Switching-races and follow the prompts. The system will charge you the difference between the marathon and the training team. If you originally paid by check, send a check made out to Sports Backers for the difference in price between the training team fee and your marathon entry fee you’ve paid for the event. Just indicate if you’d like to train on Saturday or Sunday, with the early or late group (7 or 7:30), and whether you’d consider yourself a novice or intermediate. Also include your typical pace/mile and your most recent 10k time.
- If you choose to run the Richmond Half Marathon or Allianz Partners 8k, rather than the VCU Health Richmond Marathon, you may do so for no additional cost.
- Strollers/Baby joggers are not permitted at group runs or in the VCU Health Richmond Marathon.