Pricing and Information
Half Marathon Training Team registration includes:
- 14-week training program starting on Saturday, August 7, or Sunday, August 8 (you choose the day), with a detailed schedule for you to follow.
- Personal guidance from our veteran team of experienced coaches
- Organized and supported weekly group Saturday or Sunday morning runs
- Opportunity to earn virtual badges through milestone and challenge completion
- A special Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team shirt and technical race shirt
- FREE entry in the 2021 CarMax Richmond Half Marathon and all associated race benefits
- Special Race Day support from coaches along the course
- Clinics on subjects like nutrition, running attire, and other related topics
Please Note: The Half Marathon Training Team’s format is subject to change due to current COVID-19 mandates & recommendations. As we make decisions, we will be sure to update here.
Half Marathon Training Team Fees
$140: through July 20
$155: July 21 – September 7
Income Based Rate
At Sports Backers, our mission is to inspire people from all corners of our community to live actively. Engaging underserved populations is one of our core values and one way we act on this value is by offering Income Based Rates for all of our training teams. These special rates are offered to those who qualify and would otherwise not be able to participate.
Those who make $25,000 or less annually or receive proven TANF, Food Stamp or Energy Assistance Benefits from Social Services and are not currently claimed as a dependent by anyone making above $25,000 annually are eligible for a special $25 rate for the Half Marathon Training Team Please provide one of the following documents for verification:
- Verification/Eligibility letter from Social Services
- Most Recent Tax Return
For those that qualify for the income-based entry fee, please come by our office or mail the completed entry form and your verification document to Sports Backers, 100 Avenue of Champions, Richmond, VA 23230
For more information, please call (804) 285-9495 x250.
- Training Team entry fees are non-refundable, no exceptions. Once we receive your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate or are unable to complete the program.
- You may defer your 2021 Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team entry to the 2022 Half Marathon Training Team through August 23 for $20. After that date, there will be no more deferrals. Please note that your free entry in the 2021 Richmond Half Marathon, by itself, may not be deferred to the 2022 event.
- Already signed up for the half marathon and want to participate in the training team? No problem! Just click here for info on switching races and follow the prompts. The system will charge you the difference between the half marathon and the training team. If you originally paid by check, send a check made out to Sports Backers for the difference in price between the training team fee and your half marathon entry fee you’ve paid for the event. Just indicate if you’d like to do your Group Run on Saturday or Sunday, if you’d like to train with the novice or intermediate group, your typical pace/mile and your most recent 10k time.
- If you choose to run the Allianz Partners 8k rather than the CarMax Richmond Half Marathon on November 13, you will be allowed to do so for no additional charge.
- Strollers/Baby joggers are not permitted at group runs or in the CarMax Richmond Half Marathon.
- The CarMax Richmond Half Marathon has a 4-hour time limit, which would require running a good portion of the 13.1 miles.
- There is no “walking” group for the training team.
- You must be at least 14 years of age to participate. If you are under the age of 16, you must have a parent/guardian present for all training runs.
This year we welcome our new Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team Head Coach, Cheryl Groce-Wright. This comes after long-time head coach, Ro Gammon, retired and hand selected Cheryl as her replacement. It is safe to say we are all in good hands!
Cheryl began running later in life after deciding that better fitness and weight loss were important priorities approaching the age of 50. She ran her first Monument Ave 10K in 2009 having trained with the 10K Training team, and after encouragement from a Half Training Team coach decided to train for and ran her first CarMax Richmond Half Marathon in November 2009. Months later, a bone density test revealed what would become full-blown osteoporosis by the age of 50. Having learned that weight-bearing exercise was the best way to treat and stave off the deterioration of bone density, she became a “runner” and made a commitment that her exercise regimen would always include some type of running.
Cheryl attempted (DNF) her first full marathon in September 2010 and completed a second Half in November 2010 and was hooked on “Halfs” for life. She acted as an unofficial HMTT coach in 2011 and became an official coach for the 2012 Penguins Half Training Team. Since then, she has completed four full marathons, over 20 Halfs, and numerous 10K & 5K events, two Sprint Triathlons, and coached every Half training team season since 2012. She is an energetic/enthusiastic cheerleader, a get-it-done kind of person, and will be everyone’s biggest fan!!! Don’t be surprised to see her around in a T-Rex or numerous Minion regalia.