In response to the Coronavirus pandemic causing an interruption in many internship opportunities, Sports Backers has launched a Fellowship Program for Summer 2020 to provide undergraduate and graduate students with real-world sports management skills, resume-building learning experiences, an inside look at organizational crisis management, and leadership training from dedicated sports professionals. Fellows will be involved with the vast array of events and programs the organization is rapidly creating to sustain active lifestyles and community well-being in response to the Coronavirus crisis.
The cost of the program is $600, and Fellows will work directly with Sports Backers staff on programs and projects to gain valuable real-world experience during the Fellowship. Sports Backers staff will also lead workshops and provide mentorship opportunities during and after the Fellowship. We are committed to providing these opportunities as equitably as possible and scholarships are available for Fellows seeking financial assistance.
The Fellows will participate in an intensive six-week program that combines remote individual and group work with staff members and weekly interactive virtual class sessions, with in-person interaction if guidelines allow for it. Additionally, the Fellowship Program is adaptable to academic requirements for internship hours and can be extended, if need be.
There will be two cohorts of Fellows, competitively selected based on academic and community leadership and other qualifications. The first cohort will run from June 1 – July 10. The second cohort will run from July 13 – August 21.
Sports Backers Fellows will play an active role in our organization’s response to the Covid-19 crisis and gain applicable experience in the following areas during the program:
- Marketing (P.R., social media, marketing plan development, graphic design, branding)
- Operations (Event development, course creation, volunteer recruitment)
- Active living program management (Advocacy training, Volunteer training, Youth Leadership)
- Business analytics (Audience segmentation, introduction to Salesforce)
- Sales and business development (Engaging new and existing sponsors, on-site activation)
- Financial operations (Budgeting, insurance, financial planning, risk management)
Application deadlines are as follows:
- Session 1: June 1 – July 10
- Application deadline: May 27 @ 11:59 p.m.
- Session 2: July 13 – August 21
- Application deadline: July 6 @ 11:59 p.m.
For more information, email Pete Woody.