Sports Backers' Half Marathon Training Team Kicks Off August 6 and August 7
Program prepares runners for November 12th CarMax Richmond Half Marathon
RICHMOND, VA – The Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team kicks off the training period for this year’s team with group runs at City Stadium beginning on Saturday, August 6. Registration remains open for the Half Marathon Training Team at www.richmondmarathon.org. The team is led by head coach Cheryl Groce-Wright, a former participant who has been coaching with the program since 2012.
Group Approach to Training for CarMax Richmond Half Marathon
This 14-week program is designed to prepare runners for the CarMax Richmond Half Marathon on Saturday, November 12th, which is part of the Allianz Partners Richmond Marathon weekend. The program emphasizes the group approach to training.
“I cannot wait for the Half Marathon Training Team to kick off,” said Groce-Wright. “I look forward to this opportunity every year because the team is more than just a training group. It’s a way to confidently train for 13.1 miles, achieve your goals, and have a great time in the process. We all work together to ensure that participants have their best race yet.”
“I enjoyed every part of the Half Marathon Training Team and running my first half marathon! The coaches were incredible and the support from the other participants was amazing,” said Sarah Golightly, a past Half Marathon Training Team participant. “The race itself was spectacular! I felt very prepared and capable.”
Weekly Supported Group Runs with Experienced Coaches
Participants will meet at City Stadium every Saturday or Sunday morning for a group run with experienced and knowledgeable coaches who offer training advice and feedback. During the week, runners follow a detailed training schedule on their own that will gradually prepare them to safely complete 13.1 miles on November 12. Half Marathon Training Team participants will receive:
- 14-week training program starting on August 6th and 7th (participants choose their preferred day) with a detailed schedule for participants to follow
- Personal guidance from veteran coach Cheryl Groce-Wright and her team of experienced coaches
- Opportunity to earn virtual badges by completing challenges and milestones
- Organized and supported weekly group Saturday or Sunday morning runs from City Stadium
- A special Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team shirt and technical race shirt
- FREE entry in the 2022 CarMax Richmond Half Marathon and all associated race benefits
- Special race-day support from coaches along the course
- Special clinics on subjects like nutrition, running attire, and other related topics
Income Based Rate Available for Half Marathon Training Team
At Sports Backers, our mission is to inspire people from all corners of our community to live actively. Engaging underserved populations is one of our core values and one way we act on this value is by offering Income Based Rates for all of our training teams. These special rates are offered to those who qualify and would otherwise not be able to participate. For more details and information, please visit https://www.richmondmarathon.org/training/half-marathon-training-team/
The cost of the Half Marathon Training Team is currently $160, which includes free entry into the CarMax Richmond Half Marathon. Online registration is available through August 31. Visit www.richmondmarathon.org for more information.