Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team Kicks Off August 5th & 6th
Registration remains open for the Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team, which will have its first group run starting at City Stadium on Saturday, August 5 and Sunday, August 6 at 7:30 a.m. This marks the ninth year of the Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team under the direction of head coach Ro Gammon.
This 14-week program is designed to prepare runners for the Markel Richmond Half Marathon on Saturday, November 11th, during the 40th anniversary of the Anthem Richmond Marathon weekend. The program emphasizes the group approach to training.
“Participating in the Half Marathon Training Team has been a life changing experience,” said Jane Lissenden, a member of the 2016 training team. “It has built my confidence as a runner and introduced me to a network of coaches and friends who have pushed me to accomplish far more than I ever could have on my own.”
Participants will meet at City Stadium every Saturday or Sunday morning for a group run with experienced and knowledgeable coaches that offer training advice and feedback. During the week, runners follow a written training schedule on their own that will gradually prepare them to safely complete 13.1 miles on November 11. Half Marathon Training Team participants will receive:
- 14-week training program starting on August 5th and 6th (participants choose their preferred day) with a detailed written schedule for participants to follow
- Personal guidance from veteran coach Ro Gammon and her team of experienced coaches
- Organized and supported weekly group Saturday or Sunday morning runs from City Stadium
- A special Sports Backers Half Marathon Training Team shirt and technical race shirt to wear during the race
- FREE entry in the 2017 Markel Richmond Half Marathon and all associated race benefits
- Special race day support from coaches along the course
- Exclusive clothing drop on race day
- Special clinics on subjects like nutrition, running attire, and other related topics
Also available is a virtual training team option, in which out-of-town participants will be equipped with a detailed weekly program and have access to experienced coaches to correspond with throughout the training process. Virtual team members are invited to take part in the final HMTT 12-mile supported training run in Richmond, and on race day, they will be provided with a meet-up tent (shared with the Marathon Training Team).
The cost of the Half Marathon Training Team is currently $155, which includes free entry into the Markel Richmond Half Marathon. The virtual program may be added to your Markel Richmond Half Marathon registration for $55. Online registration is available through August 20. Visit www.richmondmarathon.org for more information.